Every year an estimated 40 million Americans will go camping. Many will leave the comfort of modern amenities behind them and head off into nature. We all love nature. To get connected with nature camping is one of the outdoor activity we involve ourselves. Lasting from several days to months at a time, hiking is an activity where your gear will make or break the experience. One of the most critical pieces of gear you can get as a backpacker is your best hiking backpack. The first preference for a hiker is the selection of the backpack for hiking and travel.
Yes, there is only a main problem, i.e, choosing that best backpacking backpack for the money is not an easy task.
Here is our Top 10 Best Travel Backpack Reviews and comparison for your quick reference and fast decision-making.
Altra 65 Backpack
Banchee 50 Backpack
Air Contact 65+10 Backpack
Baltoro 75 Backpack
Tech Series Titan 65 Backpack
Altra 65 Backpack
Banchee 50 Backpack
Air Contact 65+10 Backpack
Baltoro 75 Backpack
Mens Atmos 65 AG Backpack
Womens Ariel 65 Backpack
Scout 3400 Backpack
Cobra 60 Backpack
Packs Exos 58 Backpack
Mens Atmos 65 AG Backpack
Womens Ariel 65 Backpack
Scout 3400 Backpack
Cobra 60 Backpack
So, how to choose a best travel and hiking backpack as per your planned outdoor camping? That is why we are presenting a list of top 10 Best Backpacking Backpacks 2017. After a lot of struggle online, offline and spending days in checking so many types of camping backpacks, hiking backpacks we have shortlisted some of the best backpacks for hiking which you can buy straight from here. To find the most suitable camping/ hiking backpack, here are our Top 10 Hiking Backpack Reviews.
“Best Suitable For Carrying Heavy Loads Comfortably”
The Osprey Women’s Ariel is a streamlined backpack created specifically for mountaineering. With the shape of women in mind, a major benefit of this camping backpack is the superior fit and comfort. Designed to be worn for extended lengths of time, it is the perfect thing to take with you on moderate and long distance hikes. A large capacity improves its versatility and ensures that you will always have enough room to carry what you need.
A major benefit of the Osprey Women’s Ariel camping backpack is the removable top pocket. Typically, the top pocket of the hiking backpack functions as a cover over the drawstring closure on the top of the pack. Of course, this hiking backpack with detachable daypack can detach the top pocket. The ends of the top pocket can be tied together around your waist, effectively creating a snug fanny pack that you can take with you in those moments when you are heading off the trail and into town.
A final reason why you should consider the Osprey Women’s Ariel is because of the accessibility. A lot of care and design has been put into making the Osprey camping backpack accessible from multiple directions and a number of different zippers. In addition, there are tool attachment points and places for accessories on the exterior. With all of these benefits in a single backpack, it is easy to see why the Osprey Women’s Ariel comes so highly r 65ecommended among the best hiking backpack for women.
Read Full Review: Osprey Ariel 65
“Best Suitable For High Quality with Optimum Styles”The Arcteryx Altra – Men’s Camping Backpack is a sleek and simple backpack designed for long-term hiking. Engineered to keep weight down the Arcteryx Altra does away with extraneous straps and other things that add weight while supplying only limited functionality. In doing so, you wind up with a sturdy, lightweight camping backpack that has enough room for everything you need during your travels.
A major benefit of the Arcteryx Altra 65 is how it is fitted to the male frame. With regular/tall and short/regular sizing options, you can improve comfort to your frame. What makes this even better is the easy gear organization. It is designed for easy, one-handed access allowing you to get things you need without taking the pack off.
As a matter of fact, utilizing a composite construction, the backpack is only 6.2 pounds on its own. No doubt, you will have a much lighter backpack than if you go with the competition. While a bit more on the expensive end, you get everything you pay.
Read Full Review: Arcteryx Altra 65.
“Best Suitable as Compared to Quality with Price”Designed to be everything you need for a price you can easily afford, the Teton Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack is a versatile backpack that will try its best to meet your needs. Mesh lumbar support, padded waist, and shoulder straps/padding all provide the benefit of more comfortable hiking experience. A lot of space is provided on the exterior as well to help you store everything you need.
The TETON Sports Scout is often seen as a good cheap hiking backpack. Inexpensive, it will give you a good idea of what backpacks can do and how comfortable they can be without breaking the bank. The overall quality and material selection are good, meaning that you will get a lot of use before this backpack gives out on you. That will provide plenty of time to decide on whether or not hiking is for you.
An added benefit of the TETON Sports Scout is the yellow rainfly. Tucked and hidden away, it is not seen until the weather goes south. It is easy to unfold and does a pretty decent job of keeping your gear dry. Once the rain has stopped and the rainfly is dried, it can easily be tucked back out of site. All of this and more are yours for one remarkably low price.
Read Full Review: Teton Sports Scout 3400.
“Best Suitable For Back-country Adventures”The Gregory Mountain Products Baltoro 75 Backpack is among one of the best recognized high-performance backpacks currently on the market. Having received countless awards for providing superior comfort, the Baltoro 75 has improved functionality that will benefit your experience time and time again. While expensive, it definitely earns its place as a high quality and high-performance outdoor backpack.
Do you suffer from back pain? Have you never had luck with other backpacks being comfortable? The Baltoro 75 is among the best backpacks for providing a balanced and steady hiking experience. It includes a lumbar tune that can customize the hips, shoulders, and waist to perfectly fit your body. You can even swap out the hip belt with other models for a superior fit.
Terrified that you will lose your electronics to wet weather while hiking? The weather shield hip pocket incorporates a TPU-coated covering. Along with a heavy-duty zipper, you will be able to keep your electronics dry even in the worst conditions.
Read Full Review: Gregory Baltoro 75.
“Best Suitable For Winter Mountain Adventure”The North Face Cobra 60 Hiking Backpack combines the beneficial design elements seen in other North Face hiking backpack with an amazingly lightweight design. Measuring only 3.68 pounds, you can benefit from every addition pound saved with additional food, gear, and water.
Unlike other hiking backpacks covered here, the North Face Cobra expands beyond simple walking to include versatile options for things like sledding, skiing, and more. Benefiting you by dramatically improving the versatility of the bag, you will be able to take the North Face Cobra with you on adventures where other backpacks simply won’t make it.
A final benefit of the North Face Cobra worth considering is its 3661 cubic inches of interior space. When fully loaded, the North Face Cobra still manages to be comfortable to wear. The amazing interior size means that you can carry more when necessary. If storage and lightweight design are important to you, then the North Face Cobra should be on the top of your list.
Read Full Review: The North Face Cobra 60.
“Best Suitable For Those Need Extreme Comfort”The Osprey Men’s Atmos 65 AG Backpack provides several unique benefits that are infrequently seen in other camping backpacks. It has 4 different exterior zipper pockets for storage of a lot of different things depending on need. Accessible while the pack is on, you get compartments that are easily reachable and practical. Not all camping backpacks are designed as well.
A benefit that makes Osprey an excellent name in backpacks is the effort spent in ventilation. The backpack makes use of materials and its construction to increase ventilation throughout the pack. This benefits you by helping to dry out things that may be damp, by airing things out and stopping them from getting an odor, and decreasing how hot the pack feels on your back.
Another benefit of the Osprey Men’s Atmos is its versatility. Using what is has lovingly coined as the ‘anti-gravity suspension system,’ the Osprey provides unrestricted movement. Contouring its shape to your body and fully adjustable, you get a backpack that can react more dynamically with your movement, increasing your flexibility and reaction time. This is even further improved by a 4-5 pound weight with up to 60 pounds worth of storage weight.
Read Full Review: Osprey Mens Atmos 65.
“Best Suitable For Durability, Comfort and Classical Design”A juggernaut of a backpack, The Deuter Aircontact 65+10 Backpack gives you the benefit of size and features. With among the biggest loads supported by this camping backpack, the Deuter Aircontact is grBackpackou need to carry a lot of stuff with you.
One of the best benefits of the Deuter Aircontact is that it manages to provide a great deal of storage space without becoming overly bulky. For example, you can easily adjust the shoulder and waist straps to provide a comfortable hiking experience. You can also easily access various parts of the large backpack in order to find what you are looking for. Despite its size and weight, you will not have a problem benefiting from the size and accessibility.
In addition to the 65 pounds of storage provided, the Deuter Aircontact also comes with a 10 liter storage compartment. Actually, it is fantastic for putting water aside for when you are camping. In addition to that, the benefit of the separate water storage is that you have more room for camping supplies. Enough water to last you through a day and then some, it is hard to match the beneficial qualities of the Deuter Aircontact when you need to move a lot of supplies by foot.
Read Full Review:Deuter Aircontact 65 plus 10.
“Best Suitable For Its Great Price with Ease of Use”An all around solid purchase, The High Sierra Titan 65 Frame Pack does a little of everything. The superior storage space allows for you to carry more things. The numerous pockets and attachment points on the exterior allow you to attach poles, lights, and more. Versatility is the biggest benefit the High Sierra Titan 65 Frame Pack can provide.
Another benefit of the High Sierra Titan 65 Frame Pack is the lifetime warranty that is provided for manufacturing defects. Having such a warranty on something as complex as a camping backpack is really handy. Even the best-designed backpacks can sometimes suffer from weaknesses and issues in manufacturing. With this warranty in place, you can return the backpack and get it replaced if a defect were to ever make itself known.
The lean and tall design of the High Sierra Titan 65 Frame Pack is great when for transportation on buses, trains, and planes. This hiking backpack is easier to handle, prop up, and store aside without fear of falling over. High Sierra Titan also makes accessing things from the top pockets far easier as the base and waist belt form a stable footing for the rest of the bag. This Titan 65 backpack is one of the best backpacks for day hikes from High Sierra.
Read Full Review : High Sierra Titan 65.
“Best Suitable as Lightweight and Comfortable Handling”So far, we have only reviewed larger camping backpacks. The North Face Banchee 50 Backpack is smaller by comparison and designed for carrying less weight. While you will lose out on storage capacity, you gain flexibility, agility, and movement with the Banchee. The Banchee is favored among those doing long distance hikes who either have limitations on what they can carry or don’t need to take a larger pack with them.
While smaller, the Banchee is none-the-less versatile and capable of holding a great deal of storage space. The limited interior volume and 50 pound capacity benefits those who need to carry smaller, heavier things. A lot of times people will end up putting cooking supplies and food in one of these smaller bags.
With a comfortable and snug fit, the Banchee combines the comfort of larger bags with improved ability to move. The end result is a bag that works well for those with back problems. You may have luck with the Banchee 50 Backpack if other similar backpacks have been too uncomfortable in the past.
Read Full Review: The North Face Banchee 50.
“Best Suitable For Comfort and Smart Storage”The Osprey Packs Exos 58 Backpack includes many of the benefits we reviewed in #6. On top of this, it adds a removable floating top pocket. Perfect for when you need to go into town, the removable top pocket fits snugly around the waist. Additional smaller pockets provide even more space for organized storage. Excellent for anyone who likes ditching his or her bag without major reorganization, the removable top pocket adds a lot.
Another benefit of the Osprey Packs Exos is its design. Modeled more after the ‘large tube’ design, the Osprey has few of the exterior pockets and containers that other larger bags have. Instead, it gives itself over to a lot of interior storage. Great for things like camping tents and other camping supplies that take up a lot of room, the Osprey stores a lot.
You will typically find packs with a similar design for far less. This is because the Osprey design is relatively straightforward. That being said, the Osprey Packs Exos is well worth the cost due to its attention to comfort and smart storage. While there are less expensive backpacks out there, they will not be anywhere near as comfortable or as versatile as the Osprey.
Read Full Review: Osprey Exos 58.
So you want to get the best backpacks for long distance hiking? Good for you! The first place you are going to want to look is at you. How is your body shape? What do you intend to do with the backpack? How long do you want to be able to travel with your backpack? Start the process by determining what your needs are. If you have any existing medical problems like issues with your back, then you will want to consider this as well. As you will see when you begin searching through available camping backpacks, there are dozens of different makes and models to choose from. Knowing where you stand before starting the process will help you narrow down on the best backpacks for travel and hiking in no time.
Weight and size are considerations that should also be addressed before you begin comparing prices. Are you hiking alone or are you hiking with other people? Are you sharing supplies or is every person carrying their own gear? The objective in backpacking is to pack as light as possible. The less you carry, the easier and more rewarding the experience will be. Any person who has packed too much or brought too large of a bag will relate how much of a pain backpacking can be when you are over encumbered.
Your typical backpack will range between 3-7 pounds. The majority will have a carrying weight between 50-65 pounds. On top of this, some may have extra storage for water. If you have your other gear already, then take a moment to weigh it all and see how much it comes to. That can help you figure out what range and by extension what backpack you should consider getting.
Are you bringing with you a lot of small things? Having pockets on the exterior makes it easier to organize what you have and makes acquiring it without removing your pack far easier. Whether it is a quick snack or a map, being able to get them easily can shave minutes off of stops and keep you on time to reach your destination before sundown. Some models of camping backpacks are designed with accessibility in mind. Ventilation and wet weather protection are other features that you may benefit from depending on the weather and the amount of moisture you have to deal with. Better ventilation means less damp clothes and less odor as well.
A best hiking day backpack is perfect for a one-off trip into the wilderness. If you plan to return with any frequency, buying something with a little more quality will pay for itself again and again in the long run. Durability increases dramatically with more expensive packs. Stitching is better, zippers are more durable, and Velcro/buckles are designed for repeated use. Many top end camping backpacks also come with a limited lifetime warranty on manufacturing defects. Spend the money if you have repeated use in mind.
As we mentioned above, your typical camping backpack will only weigh a few pounds when empty. At this weight, it is a breeze to get it on. The only trouble is that camping backpacks when full can weigh upwards of 60 pounds. Some backpacks are designed with putting on and taking off in mind. If you have issues with your legs shoulders, or back, then consider reading the reviews for the backpack before purchase. You can use the reviews as a first hand source for information on taking on and taking off. If something is a pain to do, then you will most likely find it in disgruntled comments.
A minor point for some, having your backpack fall over, again and again, gets on some people’s nerves. Normally, the majority of camping backpacks are accessible from top to down. That means you have to stand the backpack in an upward facing direction to access things. A backpack with rounded siding or that naturally leans away from the waist belt has a bigger chance of spilling out the content of your open bag when it tips over. If this bothers you, then look for a backpack with a stable flat base.
Look for the model number of the backpack and search for it online. Chances are you will find a few different listings for it. In addition, consider going into a store that sells it to compare prices. You may find that one of the outlets currently has a discount on the backpack. Twenty or thirty minutes of searching can save your hundreds of dollars on your purchase.
Camping backpacks will typically range between $100-$500 depending on your need. Recognized brands in best backpacks for camping have a legacy of creating superior backpacks. No doubt, that has been proven over the years to remain durable and dependable even through heavy use. Included below is a list of recognizable brands for best backpack for camping.
• Arc’teryx – The Arc’teryx is an Outdoor and Sporting goods manufacturing Canadian company. Dave Lane Jeremy Guard started this company in 1989. At the same time, Arc’teryx mainly produces products targeting military and law enforcement bodies. But some of their products especially camping/ hiking backpack are popular in civil entities. This company is expanding its ventures in other countries including China, Bangladesh, Vietnam and Laos.
• Five Ten – Five Ten is a US outdoor sports gear manufacturing company. The founder Charles Cole started the company in 1985. It’s climbing shoes are famous worldwide over a decade. Since its foundation, Five Ten delivers high-quality products in hiking backpacks, bags and outdoor camping gear. They also produce products like athletic footwear, camping backpacks, backpacking sleeping bags and other outdoor sporting gears. Presently, Five Ten is a subsidiary of Adidas since 2011.
• Osprey – The Osprey is a popular US manufacturing company makes best multi-day hiking backpack. In fact, Mike Pfotenhauer and Laurie White start up Osprey Packs in 1974. This company is known as Osprey Packs. They are famous for making long lasting, all weather proof best backpack for camping and hiking with innovative ideas and creative designs. The high-quality backpack gears produced by the company over a long period of time shows its love to outdoor sports.
• Gregory Mountain- Gregory Mountain Products is a U.S. company. Wayne Gregory founded Gregory Mountain Products in San Diego, California to design and manufacture world-class best backpacks brands for hiking in 1971. They are a leading manufacturer of supreme backpacking, mountaineering and hiking gear and accessories. Gregory is a leader and pioneer in the industry of backpacking products, they added many innovations in backpacking designs. The Gregory, research and design team continue to lead the way in innovative backpack technology and performance. In June 2014 Samsonite International SA acquired Gregory Mountain Products.
• The North Face – In 1966, The North Face started their first mountaineering/hiking retail store in San Francisco by two hiking enthusiasts, Douglas Tompkins and his wife Susie Tompkins. The North Face then began designing and manufacturing its own brand of hiking/mountaineering clothes, accessories and equipment. Through their continuous innovations and explorations, they became the best manufacturer and supplier in the United States. TNF maintains strong links with the outdoor hiking community for different expeditions and athletes by sponsoring them. This outdoor product company is one of the leading manufacturers in best camping backpack. Presently, VF Corp owns The North Face.
• TETON Sports – The TETON Sports is a U.S. company from Salt Lake city of Utah. This company has been in the sporting good industry for nearly fifteen years as a leading manufacturer of durable affordable camping gear that will outperform and long last. TETON Sports is a leading manufacturer of best sleeping bags, cots, camping tents, camping gear and best cheap hiking backpack which are very popular and customer friendly. This US manufacturer makes quality camping gear that lasts for years and is very affordable.
• Mountainsmith – Mountainsmith is one of the best camping backpack manufacturers from Colorado. In fact, the company started its journey in the field of camping backpack by explorer Patrick Smith in 1979. Actually, he designed this camping backpack to carry heavy loads of gear comfortably and effectively through the hard Colorado wilderness. Patrick Smith was the first manufacturer to take a patent for his unique lumbar waist pack. This manufacturer continues to make best value hiking backpack, best durable functional camping backpack. The company designs, manufactures and markets a wide range of quality backpacks products. Ultimately, these products provide the best needs of backpackers. These products have set a standard in the field of the best hiking camping backpack. Mountainsmith is an outstanding company in the field for their product quality.
• Deuter – Hans Deuter found Deuter Company in 1898. No doubt, Deuter is one of the oldest hiking backpack manufacturers. First of all, the company started its journey by supplying Bavarian Royal Mail with mailbags in Germany. Then, the company started expanding to the manufacturing of backpacks, knapsacks and camping tents, especially for the military. After a long struggle and hurdles in 1968, The Deuter produced the first range of Nylon backpacks. In fact, this started a new era in the field of hiking backpack manufacturing. In the meantime, Deuter designed the first “air comfort” model hiking backpack and patented it. Moreover, the close partnership of Deuter with German Association of Ski & Mountain guides contributed towards the improvement of the product design. Deuter designs and distributes top functional, good quality company products worldwide. Deuter brand enjoys an excellent reputation in the hiking backpack and camping gear market.
• High Sierra – High Sierra is leading manufacturing company in adventure gear and hiking backpacks. In fact, Hank Bernbaum and his son Harry Bernbaum started High Sierra in America. Initially, in 1978 the company was known as H Bernbaum Import and Export Company. High Sierra designs and manufactures quality backpacks, versatile outdoor camping gear and adventure tools. By and large, High Sierra has emerged as a leading manufacturer in lightweight, durable, comprehensive and comfortable hiking backpacks in the USA. This American leading manufacturer has become a specialist in designing best affordable hiking backpacks for outdoor camping. Finally, the company has grown substantially. Presently, the company is renamed as High Sierra Sports Company. Above all, in 2012, the American Luggage giant Samsonite LLC bought Bernbaum’s’ company High Sierra Sports Company. This enables significant opportunities for High Sierra and Samsonite brand extension, both direct and through licenses.
A reliable best thru hike backpack will make every adventure you take into the wilderness more enjoyable. Comfort, support, storage capacity, and ease of access are but a few of the things that the best day hiking backpack will provide. Some people may skimp out and buy second hand or cheap backpacks. In the meantime, remember that any backpack you buy will spend almost the entire trip on your back. There are so many lightweight backpack enthusiasts. Of course, for the minimalists, our best lightweight backpacks buying guide and review will be helpful. You want something that will be dependable, reliable, and functional. Above guidelines are some things you should consider when purchasing your best backpack for travel.
Last update on 2017-12-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API